Saturday, September 3, 2016

Christmas Time One Mo Gine

This is one of my favorite "Life Writing" poems.

It's Christmas time one mo' gine...
Let's celebrate Jesus, tell  a friend.
Come and go with me to a modest house on a street called Calico.
Little kids running outside and Uncle Ufrain answers the door.

The smell of collard greens and candied  yams.
Boiling chitlings and baking ham.
Loud mouth men sitting in front of the T. V.
Papa Joe talking 'bout "Come over here and hug me."

Reluctantly I go,
So he won't call my name no more.
I sit down next to Aunt Dorothy Jean,
To catch a glimpse of the T. V. screen.

"Somebody tell cutin' Kwame to get his big afro up out the way!"
There they go talking about them good old days.
I think I'll go and check up on Aunt Kay.
She's sitting in the "good" living room breaking it down.

If you seek knowledge, she's where it can be found.
She's telling us how we need to stick together.
She's telling us how we can make the world better.
And the knowledge goes on and on.
Who's Big Bertha talking to on the phone?

I step to the kitchen to peep the delightful scene.
There's Mrs. Jones, Aunt Bonnie, Sis. Faye, and Grandma Seriene.
And ya know I can't forget about Aunt Mattie Pace,
Singing that song about God's "Amazing Grace."

We hug and they say come sit down.
Then they ask why do I where a frown.
"There's nothing to do, no one my age.
Just a bunch of kids and old age."

"Child sit your little skinny self down right here.
I got a little secret to tell you my dear."
"In this room sits knowledge and wisdom beyond belief.
Gone on over there and bring me that plate of beef.

You can learn alot from this old age,
About happiness, sadness, grief, and rage.
About poverty, wealth, security, and fame.
About the past, the future, and things to change.

If you take the time to listen as we speak.
You can find the knowledge you seek."
I look away for a minute and smile real big,
"Give Grandma a hug and go get them kids."

I grab a roll and run through the house.
Oh Lord, I think I just saw a mouse.
Then I turn a corner and run outside.
Here comes Michelle and Donnie from their bike ride.

In the house, we sit at the table.
There's a big old smile from Aunt Mable.
A pray from Uncle Rev. Deacon Brother Pastor Paul James Jones sets the dinner off.
"Someone pass the turkey, the dressing, and the green beans.
Tell Little Jerry to watch that cough."

Everyone fills their plates with good food cooked with love and care.
People and family came home from everywhere.
"Save room for some of Sis. Faye's peach cobbler and Mrs. Jones' pecan pie."
One more bite I may just die.

We retire to the den and Stokley begins to play on the ivories.
I sit next to him and we proceed to sing the melodies...
That make faces smile all around,
And I no longer wear that frown.

The talent show is done,
When the last chorus is sung.
We all say goodbye.
We hug and then we cry.

And the day is over, time to go home.
And for the next Christmas long.

Driving down the highway, I pause to think a bit.
I take the time to ponder and reminisce,
About relatives who have passed and gone away.
Who had the misfortune to miss this special day.
Like Great Granny Sue and Uncle Johnny Ray,
And little cutin' Ronnie who was shot while at play.


I turn on the radio and listen to the soulful sounds of Patti LaBelle.
As the Christmas story she melodically tells.
I can't help but smile because I know they're in a much better place.
Filled with God's love and that "Amazing Grace."
I can't wait until next year, cause it will be Christmas one mo gine.
Time to celebrate Jesus and tell a friend.